Tuesday, July 8, 2008

pondering...

Dean's session at Smyrna went really good today. Ms. Josie said that he did really really good. They read, wrote, and did some other things also. Dean has been having a really hard time lately adjusting to the fact that my dad isn't with us anymore. I know he is in paradise and we will all be together again for all eternity .....but, I am having a really hard time wraping my brain around how to put it so Dean can understand....Dean knows that Pops is with Heavenly Father and with Jesus, and that Pops was really sick here with us and going to live with our Heavenly Father made him all better, and he knows that Heaven is a place that you just can't go and visit. Until, recently he really wasn't asking so many questions.... now when Richard is at work Dean is asking me "did daddy go to Heaven?" is pops all better now? can he come home since he is done being sick, and most recently he asked my mom can he (Dean) go to Heaven so he can get all better. He pretty much affirms that Pops can't come back and that he is in Heaven with Jesus every single day for the past week or so, and then will name different people off, saying they are here but, pops in in Heaven with Jesus. I am glad that he seems to understand that my Daddy is in a better place, so, how do you tell a 5 year old that takes everything so literally, Bless his heart. With autism, Dean doesn't really understand what "just sayings" or stuff like that are, for ex. If you make the comment it's raining cats' and dogs' he would say nu uh mama its raining water...every things is literal and visual for him...so back to my question What and how do you do it?

1 comment:

Mikal said...

Dean is wonderful. He love and lives as others should in so many aspects. I'm not sure how to help him understand. It must be more
heartbreaking than anything we can imagine. He may never fully understand in this world but he will have a complete understanding and perfected body in the next.

Pray for answers and ways to help Dean understand and accept. You and Richard are doing a great job raising your family. I am sure of it!